Relationship experts say there are probabilities that you might be crossing some blurred lines, as revealed by a new survey.
We all know that having regular sex with someone else, a one-night stand, kissing another person, and other physical stuff like that constitute cheating.
But then, the grey area between friendship and infidelity can be hazy; and you need to know these seven relationship wreckers!
• Maintaining active online dating profile: Even if you’re not consistently having sex with someone on the side, maintaining an online dating profile hints at the fact that you want to, because it falls into the emotional infidelity spot. “It’s saying that you don’t feel confident enough in your primary relationship to share all of it with your mate,” explains relationship and family therapist, Dr. Paul Hokemeyer. This is insulting to your primary relationship and you must make necessary adjustment.
• Emotional involvement with someone else: Do you think about another woman constantly? Do you call and text her when your wife isn’t around? Do you imagine what your life would be like if you were with that other woman? Do you rely on her for emotional comfort when you’re angry or stressed? If you answer ‘Yes’ to any or all of these, you may be having an emotional affair, says Hokemeyer. Experts believe that when your wife or girlfriend stops being your confidant, that’s a sign that you may not be with the right person.
• Sending flirty text messages: Instead of being based on primal sexual needs, flirty texts are based on the need to be seen, heard and desired. If what you pass off as ‘fun’ and ‘innocent’ violates decent boundaries that you don’t expect your partner to do, then it is cheating!
• Dinner with someone you’re attracted to: Wining and dining with another woman you’re attracted to signals infidelity. Be honest with yourself: Are you going out with them to get sex, or simply to enjoy their company? Such dinners are considered a form of cheating because they may turn into something more.
• Visiting a strip club with the guys:Would you be comfortable if your girlfriend surrounds herself with hot men flaunting their manhood in her face? If you’re comfortable enough planting your face in someone else’s boobs, it probably means you have no problem doing same outside of the club, too, says Hokemeyer.
• Watching porn without her: Watching porn may start to affect your relationship if it becomes excessive, says Hokemeyer. The reason is because porn can take you out of your primary relationship and into a fantasy world you don’t really want to leave! If watching X-rated videos gets you off more than your partner does, then that’s a problem; stop it.
• Following your ex on social media: Most women consider online friendship with an ex as cheating. Do you constantly check up on what your ex is doing? Do you get jealous when you see photos of her with other guys on Facebook? Do you get angry when you see her doing something fun? Then you probably haven’t moved on, which is a sign that you’re not ready to fully commit to your current partner, Hokemeyer says. Unfriend her now!